Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What Do You Want for Christmas?

This commonly asked question is usually followed by a very affirmative answer.

I am personally always caught off guard by it. I am Mommy. I do for everyone else and I can't rest until all of it has been done. That's the way I've lived since becoming a mother and I can't seem, no matter how hard I try, to shake off the guilt of indulging in something for myself. Or even thinking about what I want for myself. Most recently, my hopefully future mother-in-law (she is awesome and I love her!) asked me this and I had no answer for her. All I had was the irritating response of "I don't know." Do I need things? Of course. But I can get them for myself, when, if ever, I have the money. Do I want things? Sure. But I feel guilty by even mentioning something to someone they could perhaps buy for me. It's a silly thing I know. But my happiness and fulfillment comes from GIVING and not receiving. It IS nice to receive things...don't get me wrong...but I have all I need and have been blessed enough this year to fulfill my giving needs.

What do I want for Christmas? I want to be happy and healthy. I want my children to be happy and healthy. I want my family and friends to be happy and healthy. It' ALL about the people and NOTHING about the things in life.

Things are needed. Sure. Things are wanted. I know. But it's the THINGS that cause all the arguments and hostility and in effect, causes rifts between people that should never have happened. I am grateful my family is close and doesn't let the little things come between us. I know of a family who can't even spend a holiday together in the same house of their aging mother because they are at odds over a estate will of a woman who has not yet passed. It's a brother and sister who haven't spoke in years, whose grown kids have been affected because they cannot enjoy holidays with their cousins or whose own children do not even know each other because of this rift started by material possession. That is nonsense.

I stress about money and my finances all the time and Tim and I sometimes fight over it...and it's the last thing we should be fighting about. In my opinion, if the bills are paid, the children are fed, and we have a house over our head...we are fine. But it's about the things we WANT that cause these ignorant problems to be present in our life. We are all guilty of it at some point and I'm not happy that I've let it get to me. But I'm human and I realize, even if sometimes it's too late, that it is so unnecessary to fight over money/things.

The things I really care about are the people in my life. I've said it over and over, but the holidays really stir up these feelings for me. And maturing as a woman has caused a new awakening of these feelings. No THING and no PRICE TAG can replace the people in your life.

My Christmas wish is for peace among lovers, families, and friends. For people to really embrace those people in their life and to find the simplicity happiness can be.

I don't have much. But I have the most amazing people in my life and I wouldn't trade them for a dime. I always dreamed of lavish things but in my current state of being, I AM HAPPY WITH WHAT I HAVE. And for once, I'm not dwelling on what I don't have. Except for maybe replacing all the broken blinds in my house (sorry...it BUGS me!).

So there you have it...I already have what I want for Christmas. So anything anyone gets me will be an added bonus.

Answer this: What do YOU want for Christmas that has nothing to do with material possessions?

Merry Christmas Everyone. I hope everyone gets to enjoy this holiday with the people that they love and that being together is enough to make this day a special one.

Peace and Love...

No comments:

Post a Comment